Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Temporary Loss of Time and an Illness Plagues Us--June 11th to June 16th




Though most of the days have been chilly and rainy, it’s still wonderful to be here in the beautiful spot and neat, efficient cottage on the Back Bay in DownEast Maine. However, there has been some trouble in paradise. Besides something (raccoons) constantly stealing the suet cage, Bob has not been feeling well. He has been spending a lot of time in the second bedroom, sleeping and shivering. He complained about a headache and neckache for a few days and seemed feverish. Then he felt better, then worse. On Father’s Day, of all days, he woke up and was radiating heat. He said that even if I put the sun on him, he couldn’t stop shivering. He was ready to make the exploratory trip into Portland (a four-hour drive) to a hospital. There are no Urgent Care centers in the area and we were not really aware of anything in Ellsworth (a little less than an hours’ drive). Despite the problems we have here getting any Internet signal, I Googled and found Maine Coastal Memorial Hospital (a 47-bed medical center) in Ellsworth. Bob doubted all the way that we wouldn’t have to drive to Portland. We both have been very careful not to use emergency rooms, but without urgent care centers, we had no choice.

We arrived at the small, but modern, hospital in Ellsworth—located off the main drag which was why we had never seen it. There was no one in the Emergency Room waiting area, so they checked Bob in and called him before he had a chance to pick out a magazine. The person on duty in the ER was a Nurse Practitioner, but I have been educated by my Physician Assistant daughter, Bryn, that sometimes they’re better, if not just as good, as an MD or DO. I stayed in the waiting room for about an hour and then they called me in to stay with Bob. Essentially, because of our trip to Costa Rica, he was being checked for malaria, dengue fever, and typhoid. In addition to a lot of blood work, they also did a urinalysis. After a couple of hours, and consultation with an infectious disease doc, and many vials of drawn blood, the NP came in to tell us that Bob had some kind of infection (high white blood count), but she wasn’t sure what. She said it might be a UTI (which my daughter doubted as they are rare in men). Some of the blood cultures wouldn’t be ready until Tuesday, so Bob was released with a heavy regimen of Cipro (an antibiotic).

It’s been a long 6 days, especially with Bob doing a lot of sleeping, but I’ve learned to be independent and do my own thing while trying to nurse him back to health. I made banana bread, (he wanted baked potatoes the one day he seemed to have a little appetite), and chicken cacciatore (which I overcooked). I kept busy by keeping the place clean and organized. My OCD seems to be much worse on this trip. I don’t know why. It might have to do with the fact that the cottage, though small, is very efficiently stocked, organized, and arranged, so it appeals to my orderly sense. At least that my story and I’m sticking to it. Because they need to have a technician come out to fix the dryer, our landlords told us to feel free to hang a clothesline (there is also a Laundromat 15 minutes away), so I did. I did a load of clothes and hung them out to dry. Today, however, it’s windy, chilly and I’m not sure if the clothes are still wet or just cold. A technician is coming today (Tuesday) 

I had a chance to do some reading—just downloaded another book (which will be my fourth book in the two weeks we’ve been here--two weeks today). Yesterday, (Monday), Bob moved from the bedroom to the couch and visited a while, napping on and off all day. I was able to stay outside while he was napping because the weather was perfect and, for some reason, the mosquitoes were not attacking, nor were they visible until near dusk/sunset. When I came in, Bob was ready to have some cacciatore (I saved him some and froze the rest) and asked if I would make spaghetti, too. A good sign that he’s feeling a little better. We are in hopes that he continues feeling better and getting stronger. There are a couple of festivals in the area that we had planned on attending.

Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment